Wednesday 11 June 2014

Don't give up after the first chemo!

Having finally reached the other side of chemo, I am starting to reflect on the process. Chemo is pretty unpleasant - don't get me wrong. However, it does get better over time. I was told that chemo would increase my chances of survival by 18% so it was pretty important to persevere. After my first chemo (FEC), I felt so appalling that I could barely move. I vomited for twenty four hours straight, felt utterly exhausted and suffered from horrendous side effects such as severe migraines, hot flushes, stomach cramps, constipation, a sore mouth, blurry eye-sight, thrush, diarrhoea, dehydration and hair loss. I was also neutropenic (when your blood cell count is so low you are at high risk of infection). So it was not the best fun I've ever had. If it wasn't for my husband and family, I would certainly have given up. So my most important tip is DON'T GIVE UP! Everyone is different and you may not have the same side effects I did, but either way, it does get better. It's a combination of adapting the chemo slightly (they removed the anti-sickness, Ondansetron which caused the migraines), giving you medication to manage the side effects better, and your body adapting to the chemo, but it really does improve. My second chemo was much, much better and as you knock each one on the head, the end becomes more clearly in sight. And, you won't believe it at the time, but once it gets to the penultimate cycle, it starts to fly by and you will begin to forget the traumas of the first one. Amanda.

I am currently almost at the end of chemo ( cycle six next week) and have had a completely different experience to Amanda.
I did vomit for 12 hours after cycle one and felt nauseous for the following two days. I gradually started to feel well after Day 5 and they were pretty much the only side effects I had. By cycle two, I was given a strong anti-sickness tablet to take prior to chemo called Amend, so do ask for this if it isn't offered to you. Cycle two and three were very similar, I felt quite 'rough' after the treatment, headache and nausea for a few hours and then I was fine. The only thing I found was that the overwhelming tiredness seemed to accumulate after each session, so by cycle 3, it took me at least 8 days to start feeling the slightest bit of energy.
I haven't had diarrhoea, constipation, mouth sores or migraines. I have had the hot sweats, especially at night. Everybody is different so don't think too much about what you read concerning side effects.
Once you are aware of your chemo start date, mark each date on your calendar and cross them off, one by one and although it seems like it's going to take forever when you have your first one, it really does fly by. Debbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment