Wednesday 18 June 2014

Eat well during FEC chemo and avoid the fridge!

As it's a month after my last chemo, I've started to look back at my diary to see what I wish I'd known to make my experience easier (I had every side effect going, so it wasn't the best of experiences!). What I've noticed is that the better my diet, the better I felt. I had a pretty rough time with the FEC - vomiting, migraines, piles, fatigue, mouth sores, digestive problems and diaorrhea to name but a few. However, it got easier each time. During the FEC my sense of smell became so sensitive, that if I opened the fridge I would be sick! This meant that I barely ate anything after my first FEC cycle. However, after the second cycle I started to get into a routine of eating a bowl of fresh fruit for breakfast, and plenty of fresh veg (spinach with everything!). I didn't go near the fridge (I would leave the room while my husband opened it!) and we didn't buy any strong smelling stuff. I had a much easier time of it after that, which is largely to do with the fact that as my digestion was better, the medication worked better, plus I was more robust and felt a lot better. So if you can face food, then I'd definitely recommend some healthy, light meals to get you through FEC.

Take suitable precautions when opening the fridge

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment