Tuesday 22 July 2014

Cancer, childbirth and the goldfish principle

I went out with a friend on Saturday who had been through breast cancer seven years earlier. She told me that in a year's time I would pretty much have forgotten the whole experience. Now although this sounds utterly amazing, I am already forgetting the last few months, and it's only been a month since I finished my radiotherapy. My friends tell me that childbirth is exactly the same...it's hideous at the time but you instantly forget as soon as it's over. If you're in the middle of treatment or even worse, at the beginning, I can promise you, you will forget the sharp end of it all, and you'll be amazed at how quickly. If someone had told me this after my first chemo, I would have either not believed them, or plotted violence against them (*joke*), but it really is true. I absolutely promise. So, keep the end date in mind (or "keep to the schedule" as Debbie used to say), grit your teeth and before long you'll be out the other side. Really.

Amanda

Me trying to remember the last few months

No comments:

Post a Comment