Friday 4 July 2014

Sharing the cancer experience

Before I had cancer I had only done about three posts on Facebook in my life. I've always been a fan of real life relationships and hated to over-share. I am however, married to a social media guru who shares every second of our lives via his social media dashboard whether I like it or not! I have to say though that during the whole cancer experience, this was actually really useful. There are so many people who want to keep up with your news and check in with you, but don't want to disturb you when you're going through treatment. If like me you choose to stay relatively quarantined during the chemo to avoid infection, you'll also feel a little bit out of the loop on your friends' lives. Facebook is a great way to share where you're up to with lots of people and take the pressure of yourself in terms of answering hundreds of phone calls and texts. What was also really lovely was the amount of positive messages and uplifting comments that really carried me through a very tough time. Plus, you can save these updates afterwards and congratulate yourself on how far you've come. It also seemed to inspire others who were having a tough time themselves. So, go ahead and share!

Amanda

My husband is the one on the left


No comments:

Post a Comment