Thursday 3 July 2014

The kindness of a stranger

Well, I started back to work last week, and as wigs and I do not get along, I have been revealing my semi-bald head to the world. This has been an interesting experience, largely a positive one. I have been utterly floored on many an occasion by the kindness of a stranger. Now don't get me wrong, many people will stare (largely out of curiosity), but most people will either go out of their way NOT to look at you, or will make a kind (completely untrue) comment. I went on holiday last week and was worried about not looking like my passport picture. I commented to the air hostess at passport control, "bit of a drastic haircut since that was taken", and she replied "Well you really rock it!" How lovely! I also went to the Race for Life a couple of weeks ago, and a woman came over to me, and just touched my hand. The simplicity of the gesture and the look on her face just brought me to tears. It was a sense of kinship and community that only people who have experienced the big 'C' would recognise. So I'd say - if you want to go wig/hat/scarf free, do it! You will be surprised by the kindness and empathy of the people around you. (Make sure you wear sun tan lotion though!)

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment