Friday 12 September 2014

Cancer and friendship

One of the many good things about cancer is that your friends and family rally round and do everything they can to make you feel better. I honestly could not have felt more loved and supported throughout the process. A good friend asked me at the weekend what the best thing to say to someone who has cancer would be. I just said that the best thing is to be honest. Don't be afraid to ask about what the sufferer is going through, what's happened so far and how they're feeling. Be led by them. If they don't want to talk, I'm sure they'll tell you. But you may be surprised. I feel that it's really cathartic to talk about it, and I am much happier when people are open and honest. If anything, I would avoid telling them how to cope with it or what to feel. It's hard to stomach when people tell you to be positive when it's your arm that's being pumped full of chemo, your hair that's fallen out and your head down the toilet! And, when it comes to presents - cards, flowers, books, DVDs and treats, there can never be too many! One of the absolute highlights of the last six months was the tremendous generosity of my amazing friends and family. If you can make someone's cancer journey a little less onerous then absolutely do.

Amanda

There's nothing in this unfortunately

No comments:

Post a Comment