Thursday 9 July 2015

A date with death

When I first had cancer and everything was treated successfully, I felt like the Grim Reaper had called round to see me, left me his card and said he'd try to catch me another time. Determined as he was to get hold of me, we did get a face-to-face meeting in April.

There are lots of 'what ifs?' that could have made this a very different ending to the story. What if I hadn't gone to my GP with my first episode of visual disturbances (I felt like honey was dripping from my eyes and was rendered inarticulate for an hour)? What if Dean hadn't made me go to the Emergency Doctor after my second 'episode' three weeks later? What if the second Doctor had dismissed it as a migraine rather than sending me straight to the hospital? What if the tumour had been inoperable? What if the operation had gone wrong?

You're quite simply a player in a game where you can't influence the outcome either by skill, endeavour or will-power.

I've been very lucky so far. Also a bit unlucky some might say.

Looking death in the face is scary. I just need to stay on my toes for a bit and hopefully he won't find me.

Amanda    

I'm thinking of changing my address

No comments:

Post a Comment