Wednesday 15 July 2015

Hebdomas horribilis

There is no sugar coating for this week. As Dean has documented, I started to feel pretty dreadful on Monday and told the radiotherapy nurses about some flashes I was having behind my eyes. The fantastic nurse, Dawn was not happy to let me go home without getting a better understanding of what this was. She got me admitted and seen by three consultants who reassured me that this was just another side effect of the whole brain radiotherapy and I have been given double dose steroids to help minimise the impact.

It's been emotionally as well as physically challenging and I am embarrassed to say that I cried my eyes out for a good part of my stay in Oncology, particularly when I saw that Dean had not packed any nightwear or slippers.

After treatment, my head burns and itches and then huge chunks of hair fall out which is unpleasant. A migraine cold cap seems to help in easing this. Even though I knew this was coming, it's still difficult to deal with. I cannot wait for this ordeal to be over and pray for all the people who have to endure this on an ongoing basis. They are courageous and strong.

Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment