Saturday 3 October 2015

Why?

Yesterday I was devastated to read about the death of Donna Grindy. http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Tributes-paid-Stoke-businesswoman-Donna-Grindy/story-27910024-detail/story.html

We were in hospital together for four nights only a month ago. She, like so many other young women, experienced a recurrence of her breast cancer and her funeral is this week. I can't even imagine how her family must be feeling. Breast cancer is just so arbitrary and indiscriminate. Donna was not even 40, had a thriving business, a lovely husband and young children. It's devastating.

In this context the language of cancer is difficult for me to stomach. If I get through this, it won't be a 'battle' I have 'won' that others have 'lost'. It won't be due to a diet of blueberries or spirulina. It won't be due to my positivity or strength. It will be due to luck. I'm not out of the woods yet by any means. The aggressive nature of Triple Negative Breast Cancer means that it will always be one step ahead of me. I won't be 'fighting' it. I will put my life in the hands of surgeons once again and pray for a positive outcome. I also pray for Donna's family as they face such challenging times ahead.

Amanda


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful photo. Your empathy for others when you have your own battle is humbling. Courage and luck lovely Amanda.. Courage and luck. Lisa x

    ReplyDelete