Thursday 9 June 2016

Race for Life

Tuesday night was an emotional one for me. It was the Race for Life 5k at Trentham Gardens. Two years ago I went to the same event. I had about three small tufts of hair on my otherwise bald head and was unsteady on my feet. Some women clapped me as they passed, but most notably a complete stranger came up to me and squeezed my hand. I was so moved that tears were rolling down my cheeks.

Yesterday was equally emotional. I was struck by the women's strength and power as they flew past me to the finishing line. I was also swallowing back the tears at the complex web of love, friendship and remembrance that surrounded me. A little girl was wearing a T-shirt with her late Dad's face on it and others had several names on their backs. Everyone was dedicating their efforts to someone.

Most of all I was struck by the sense of camaraderie that the event created, not to mention the amount of money raised. I also had a fleeting thought that next year in all likelihood I would not be there and I would simply be a memory pinned to the back of one of the runners.

Well done to everyone who took part in this extra special event.

Amanda







1 comment: