Sunday 12 February 2017

Guest blog from Jayne

Hundreds of wonderful fun filled days have passed since I wrote for Amanda and Deb's blog on the 30th June last year. 

Just to recap, my breast cancer had spread to both of my lungs, the spread was classed as 'extensive' and I was given 3-6 months to live. The only option in the UK was chemotherapy to extend my life by a few months. We sold our house and bought a smaller one to release some money to buy a motor home, pay for private treatment and do some travelling.

I'll pick up after the last installment......
After we finished the housesit in Italy it was difficult to say goodbye to the dogs we had got to know and love over the past six weeks. We explored some more of the 'heel of Italy', a Tuk Tuk ride around Gallipoli being the highlight and then got the ferry over to the Greek islands where we spent seven glorious weeks exploring the beautiful green islands of Kefalonia and Ithaca. We saw baby turtles hatch and make their way to the sea, went horse riding, sailing and jumped off a mountain to paraglide down onto Myrtos Beach.

From Kefalonia we got a ferry back to the Greek mainland and visited Monamvasia, the ancient city of Epidavros, Navpleon, Athens and the Acropolis. Then a ferry over to Crete where we did some volunteer work at the 'walk with donkeys' sanctuary. I find it very therapeutic being around animals and to be able to help people who dedicate their whole life to helping abandoned animals felt really good and am sure played a big part in my healing process.

We caught up with old friends on the island and helped the locals harvest their oranges and lemons.

Then it was back to the Greek mainland to spend Christmas and New Year in the scenic mountain ski resort of Kalavrita doing a month long housesit for three adorable dogs and an affectionate cat. Our whole journey was interspersed with visits from family and friends and it made it all more wonderful to share our new experiences with people we love.

Throughout all this my cancer tumour markers (monitored by blood tests every six weeks) had continued to fall until the last test in December when one marker was a little raised. We had always planned to get the ferry back from the Greek mainland to Venice in January so considering the close proximity of Venice to the clinic in Germany (only five hours drive) and after a discussion with my doctor there we decided to book in for a week's top-up of immune boosting treatments and investigate the reason for the raised cancer marker.
Following scans the bad news was that the cancer had now spread to my bones, but the AMAZING news is that my lungs (where I had in excess of 18 tumours, the largest one being 48 x 32mm) are clear and cancer free! The doctor said I was fit to fly so we put the motorhome in storage and flew out to my favourite island of Fuerteventura. 

I loved driving around in our 'home on wheels'. It's exciting finding new places but I was feeling a little tired and just wanted some rest and relaxation and to put down roots in the sunshine for a while. The importance of vitamin D in cancer treatment can not be underestimated! At the end of this month some of my family and friends are flying over to help us celebrate my 50th birthday (which at one point, I thought I'd never see!) which will just be the icing on the cake.

So the outcome is that we have to come home a little earlier than planned to start some radiotherapy treatment for my bones but we have had a totally awesome, amazing journey. 

A favourite saying of mine...
Life is not about the amount of breaths you take,
It's the moments that take your breath away.

Live, laugh, love

Jayne


No comments:

Post a Comment