Saturday 18 February 2017

Mission: Remission

December 30th 2016 marked 3 years since my breast cancer diagnosis. January 28th 2017 marked 3 years since I had an operation to save my life, left sided mastectomy and Strattice reconstruction. 

Anybody who has had a breast cancer diagnosis (or any other) will understand the anxiety that surrounds every follow up appointment. Whilst we want/need the appointments with our consultants/surgeons as we crave the reassurance that we're doing well, the fear of recurrence is always with us. 

I had my follow up yearly mammogram and ultrasound last week. I don't talk about these ahead of time because I don't feel the need to, but even if I don't talk about it, it doesn't mean I am not thinking about it. You can bet I was thinking about it from the moment the hospital letter dropped through my door.

In fact, I was thinking about it in January as I knew it was almost 'that time'.

Anyone who has gone through a cancer diagnosis can easily convince themselves it's back. Face it, there is always that little tiny voice in the back of your head that says you know it has come back. It whispers in your ear while you are sleeping, or trying to sleep, in the middle of the night.

But I am happy to report that as far as the radiologist could see, my mammogram was clear. The ultrasound showed cysts that I've always had but nothing sinister to be seen.

The radiographer who performed the ultrasound recognised me as I did her, she was in fact the same lady who spotted that 'something she wasn't sure of' after I went up to have cysts drained 3 years ago and the rest is history. 

Looking forward to another year of happiness, good health and making precious memories with those that mean the most.


Debbie





No comments:

Post a Comment